grasshopper prayer

pay attention all day

Saturday, August 12, 2006

deleting

I have spent a month deleting,
clearing space in the calendar once jam-packed with notations
of the last job,
the last crew,
the last team with whom I sweated and toiled,
the last dear people with whom I cried--
it seems that the hard times are the ones that bring us together
(don't ever miss a funeral)
--it seems I needed the time,
time to create space where there was none
closure where cupboards were left empty
but swinging open...
ghosts of echoing footsteps left hanging.
I have spent a month deleting
sweeping dust out of corners
seeking leftover raisins and cheerios and
sometimes
the odd,
unopened box,
and now I am stripped
naked
exposed for what I am
standing still
breeze ruffling what little hair I've got
and in the breath of silence the new beginning roars
and comes to greet me.

1 Comments:

  • This beautiful writing of yours touches me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home