grasshopper prayer

pay attention all day

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

references

I'm prone to references. I'm also prone to curiosity, so every so often I'll wander over to sitemeter to see what kinds of things bring people to this site. If they're not people I think I know (based on operating system and location, yes I'm a geek) they are often googling things. Literary things. Referenc-y things. And every time I see that I feel guilty, because I could be more helpful. Today I saw the second search for Mewho and Exactlywhats. So here, for at least the two most recent:

"The Mewho with an Exactlywhat" is a Shel Silverstein poem, from either A Light in the Attic or Where the Sidewalk Ends. It begins, "Knock Knock./ Who's there?/ Me. /Me Who?/ Yes, exactly./ Exactly what?/ Yes. / Yes what? / Yes, I've got an Exactlywhat on a chain." ...at least, that's how I recall it. It's been years since I've seen it in print.

[Update: It's from A Light In The Attic. I checked. And I think the text above is not quite right. I think it goes: Yes. / Yes what?/ No, exactlywhat...]

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers..." is from Tennessee Williams, in his play A Streetcar Named Desire. For those who saw the Marlon Brando version, you will recognise the play by picturing him in undershirt and jeans, shouting from the street up at the window: "Stella!" The quote is by Blanche, older sister of Stella, who is and has been for quite a while quite mentally unstable. The play is disturbing but well worth watching.

okay, I feel better now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home