grasshopper prayer

pay attention all day

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

sun

The sun is out! Now I know, to those of you in places like India and California that may mean nothing, but to those of us in colder, darker places, that means everything. The sun is out and the snow is sparkling and the air is warm (for sufficiently broad values of warm) and I'm listening to music which is really cool by a group called Sam Cooke. I'm not quite aligned with the theology, but I'm very forgiving about that sort of thing when the music moves me, which it does.

Sun and light are metaphors which are tricky because of that whole race-color-bright-light-dark-black-white linguistic thing. Personally I think we need to acknowledge that lots of people are afraid of the dark and that's why they use dark as a bad/scary metaphor and it has nothing to do with skin color. I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me and I've thought about it, but fear of what we cannot see (because it's not illuminated, for example) is a human thing. Fear of the unknown is also very human. The key is to manage the fear and keep our fears from hurting others as we work with and through them.

So I celebrate the presence and coming return of the sun. *smile*
Solstice is coming and thank goodness for that.