grasshopper prayer

pay attention all day

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

two gratitudes

A note about writing: I like authors who use lots of words, lush and rich...but only if they're telling me about things I'm interested in. Character development: good. Plot development: useful. Tolkien's six pages of descriptions of forest: not interesting. At all. Still, I try not to waste words. Some days I succeed. Some days I don't. I admire Jill for her ability to say so much in so few words. I admire Real Live Preacher for using his more verbose style to make sense of the world.

I am grateful to good writers who give their gifts freely that we may share in them.
___

I am learning that humour is the best way to diffuse most conflicts.

Even flame wars.

Really.

How cool is that, and how simple?

I wonder how that could transform salary negotiations and board meetings.

I am grateful for humour, and for people who stay at the table for hard conversations, and for learning from others.

That's all.