grasshopper prayer

pay attention all day

Monday, June 20, 2005

intention

Several years ago I got intentional about intention. Prompted by friends and my life, I started paying attention: to what I wanted, to what I really wanted, to the extra doubts and thoughts that could get in my way, to the expectations of failure which do, in fact, function just like expectations of success and beauty.

I have gotten lost along the way several times, but I have kept practising.

And now, it seems, the intentions have caught up with me. I have learned that when I am very clear about what I want or need, it is good to articulate it, write it down, refine it, and reread it. If it is supremely clear I make sure to keep a copy or two. I do it without really thinking about its efficacy, partly I think because thinking too hard makes room for doubts which undermine the whole thing. I double-check it in the way of people carefully making wishes, to make sure that there are few or no misinterpretations. I also check for unnecessary restrictions which are likely to make the whole thing unlikely. Then I go on about my life.

I did this recently out of habit.

I just got what I asked for. Very nearly to the letter. Now I don't believe in an intercedent god. What I do believe in is a universe which tends toward the good.

And thank goodness for that. *smile*